Here I am climbing the 75′ Ladder

An image of me building my families home

My name is Gary Soles. I was born in Golden, British Columbia, but primarily grew up in Fort St. James. After leaving town to complete both my Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Bachelor of Education in Secondary Education (both at the University of Northern British Columbia) my wife and I returned to Fort St. James to pursue our teaching careers. Upon arriving in town we purchased two acres of property and proceeded to build a house to raise our family in. We have now been working and enjoying life here for the last 10 years. After returning to town I quickly acquired a full time teaching position, and am currently the industrial arts teacher at Fort St. James Secondary School.

Our family has been fortunate to include two lovely daughters. Tahirah is turning 9 in April and Aniyah has recently turned 5. We enjoy traveling around the province with our children and exploring the many different hiking and camping opportunities in British Columbia and Alberta.

In my spare time, I am also work as a Lieutenant for the Fort St. James Fire Department. This position offers very unique challenges and learning opportunities, as well as meaningful comradery.

In addition to my work and family life, my wife and I are also both currently working towards obtaining our Master’s degrees. Her degree is that of library science, my degree is of educational technology.

As I progress through this degree, my aim is to explore how the incorporation of technology, utilizing a cross curricular inquiry model, can foster increased student engagement throughout Fort St. James Secondary school. This will be done by collaborating and co-teaching with my colleagues on a project meaningful to our school.

My daughter Tahirah

My daughter Aniyah