Photo by Clemens van Lay on Unsplash

Preamble

I have been pursuing a cross curricular inquiry-based learning framework in my industrial technology courses for the last half of a decade. I have seen the level of student engagement, craftsmanship, creativity, and skills learned all increase at an astounding rate. As I teach courses that are purely elective, students have to choose to be in them. In a school with only 280 students, a staggering 200 students a year choose to take these classes; up from roughly 80 to 100 students a year. I am excited to take the opportunity afforded to me in this course to share this journey through digital storytelling. My colleagues and course partners, Andrew and Deirdre, have been instrumental in collaborating and working with me to achieve this level of success and together I believe we have a very meaningful story to tell. 

Past Technical Experience

I am not new to the world of technology, but am relatively inexperienced in the world of digital storytelling. In my final years of high school and in the first few years of my undergraduate degree I worked as a computer repair technician and wireless internet and networking technician. At the same period in time I was involved in a computer coding club and spent a fair bit of time developing html websites, learning C++ coding, and installing the best known open source operating system at the time (linux) on a variety of computers. In my career, I have spent a large part of the last decade using my knowledge of computer systems to upgrade the carpentry, metal fabrication, and mechanic shops. Most notably this includes an automatic digital planer, and a CNC (computer numerically controlled) router for the carpentry shop, plans for improvements in digital and CNC machinery in the metal fabrication shop, and modern diagnostic tools for the mechanics shop. The CNC equipment allows students to be involved in more than hands on crafting in the modern shop. It incorporates computer graphic design, coding, and a great deal of problem solving all into one project platform. This equipment essentially set the stage for cross curricular collaboration and co teaching between Andrew (and his computer lab) and myself.

Setting up the CNC machine for the carving below

Past Digital Storytelling Experience

The concept of digital storytelling, which enables an individual to share aspects of their personal life, has always interested me. Even though I have only directly been a part of a single digital storytelling event (partnered with Andrew and Deirdre we created a video sharing our rationale for creating an open educational website a couple of months ago) I have been an observant participant in the world of digital storytelling many times. I frequent YouTube and often listen to many other stories about various aspects of individual’s lives; from trades work to travel and fitness. I often listen to my woodworking idol Mark Spagola in his podcast The Wood Whisperer. Andrew, my wife Jacquline, and I also ran a pilot program for FreshGrade in our district which ultimately gave students the ability to create a digital story about their learning. 

Future Digital Storytelling Goals

In order to share the journey of cross curricular inquiry my colleagues and I have taken, and are undertaking, I plan to explore the depth of cinematography and take part in all aspects of creating our story, ultimately, utilizing the elements of digital storytelling. The results of this will then be posted on our shared website and this digital story will be told. In addition I want to further develop our website to more effectively embed our digital story. The way in which a website flows to guide the viewer from one area to another is vital; I do not feel that we have achieved this yet, but will work towards it as it will help add meaning to the overall digital story.

Photo by Reuben Juarez on Unsplash